"

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Butsi Recipe


Butsi/Butchi Recipe

(my grandma's butsi recipe)

If you're a big fan of Butsi or Butchi at chowking ( chinese fast food, popular in the Philippines )  you probably thinking, there's no way this is BUTSI RECIPE! I know! This is not the typical Butsi, the fried sesame balls with sweet bean filling inside.  If you get a chance to travel in Bukidnon, the pineapple capital of the Philippines, then you probably have a sweet encounter with this native delicacy. This quite popular from where I'm from.  My grandma loved to make Butsi  and sold to our neighbors and friends.
What I like most about BUTSI, is the sweet coconut filling inside is just perfect with the soft chewy dough and coated with sugar to top if off.
The inspiration behind the making of this delicious delicacy, is when I have lot of left over coconut filling from the Pan de Coco and the perfect Shakoy/ Donut dough, combine the two and the BUTSI was born. The process of making it is exactly the same making Shakoy, the only difference are the shape and there's coconut filling inside the dough. It's been years I haven't have butsi, and I'm so happy to have it fresh in my kitchen. It's taste closer to my grandma's recipe, but, HEY! practice makes perfect. Sooner its gonna taste even better than the first try.. C'mon let's start BUTSI!



Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup water, lukewarm
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter - cold and chopped into cube
1 pack yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon yeast)
1 tsp. salt
extra sugar- for coating
oil- for frying ( if u have deep fryer, much better:)

Filling:
1 1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup brown sugar
- Put this 2 ingredients in a food processor, pause for couple minutes. Set aside.
Note: Just use something you like for filling if you don't like sweet coconut filling.


Filling the Butsi with sweet coconut filling
NOTE: It only take few minutes to cook BUTSI, So, stay close to the fryer.
             To avoid greasy BUTSI, flip it only ONCE:)
 Directions:
1.) In large bowl combine flour, sugar, yeast, salt and butter. Mix well until everything incorporated.
2.) Add the egg into the mixture and lukewarm water and start mixing together.
3.) Knead the dough in clean floured surface until smooth and elastic. Let is rise for 1-2 hours.
4.) Divide the dough into 20 pieces. Start forming the dough into little balls, flatten it out using the rolling pin, and fill the coconut filling. Do this process until everything is done.

5.) Let it rise for 20-30 minutes. (Enough time to heat the deep fryer on medium low)


6.) Fry it for about 1-2 minutes each side. Let is cool. Put in the plastic bag with sugar and shake it.


7.) Serve hot or cold for mid-afternoon snacks. Taste even better if you share this with family and friends. ENJOY!

I'm munching this goodies while blogging about it..YUM!

53 comments:

  1. MMmmm, these do sound tasty and if they were your grandmother's I'm sure they're delicious!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm ang sarap naman nyan! pahingi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like!!! :D Will try out your recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so good! Family recipes are the best. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butchi but I can not say it with coconut though. Thanks to this recipe I just have to replace coconut with monggo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. Can I feature this one out at my food blog: filipinofoodsrecipes.com? Proper credits via links will be given po sa inyo :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy. i love butsi.. i missed it, been a while since the last time ate butsi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm I think I'll follow this once I get time to cook. I only tasted buchi in Chow King. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, this is like a version from where I'm from, I love butchi chowking too.:)

      Delete
  9. Wow! That easy lang pala?! Great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy. Will a caramel filling work for this one? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it works, umm actually I just don't know..:)

      Delete
  11. Looks yummy! I doubt though that my cooking skills would be enough to whip up a batch of these. I think I'd just buy cooked one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ang galing mo naman! Is it because you're far from home kaya you try to cook Pinoy dishes? Where do you get the recipe from? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Farida. Yup! It's the only way para di ko masyadong ma miss ang Pinas, Isa pa I Love Pinoy dishes. I got the recipe of the shakoy at areskitchen.com, and made my own version by cutting down the ingredients into half. My grandma make butsi all the time, so memorized ko na yung directions..:) It turn out good naman.:)

      Delete
  13. Hi Melgie,

    Butsi seems to be the Asian version of donuts! Feeling happy munching these while blogging? You must be.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this recipe. We usually put munggo as filler of butsi. I tried once but I failed to attain what I expected. Maybe I will give another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried the one with munggo filling with sesame seed coating and I failed.
      This one is just perfect for me.:)

      Delete
  15. oy, buchi...haven't eaten these for decades, looks tasty!
    reading your post parang and dali lang gawin haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. IT looks so yummy..must try it out one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarap! Looks like donuts. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes like donuts with coconut filling inside. Thanks!

      Delete
  18. I love Butchi and I love pan de coco so this is something that's definitely for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I miss eating buchi.. :) When I was young, I always wait for the buchi vendor. Hers is my favorite. I would love to try this somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks so delicious! great recipe! New follower of yours! Please do me a big favor and click this link: www.961kiss.com/d/?t5 that's all you have to do; it's to help me win concert tickets! It would mean so much to me...thanks a bunch! :)
    Juliet
    www.apurplesky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sure Daddy Allan will try this one again. Actually he did tried to my buchi but like he said it's an epic fail. Haha. I wonder what went wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eating while blogging...that explains the sugar bits on the keyboard...just kidding hehehe....Sarap nito ah. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to eat them while they are warm.I always like the chewy type butsi.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ganon lang pala iyon. thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok to ha, no baking required.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ayy, I love buchi. will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sis, Daddy A has an oven na so he can bake real cakes, hehe... He will make cupcakes for our son's birthday on Monday. Sana lang okay, hehe... Do you have cupcake recipe sis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Congratulations to your new oven Sis. I'm so happy for you! I don't have any cupcake recipe posted in my blog. I often used Betty Crocker Cake mix for making cakes and cupcakes:) Hope it helps but I will make one from scratch soon. I do love cupcakes, Magka birthday lang pala sila ng anak ko.:)

      Delete
  28. Looks so good. I miss eating that during school break.

    ReplyDelete
  29. One of my childhood faves! Love butsi!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your lovely comments. Don't forget to leave your link so that I can visit your blog as well. Thank you! Have a great day:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CupcakeStrawberry On Top Of CupcakePumpkinSanta Claus WalkingSanta Claus WalkingCoca-Cola